Saturday 15 November 2014

Overcoming Fear in Deep Back Bends

I recently made the resolve to work on my back bends and focus on moving more deeply into them. For me there has always been an element of fear when it comes to back bends and although this is very common when practicing back bends I'm not entirely sure why I experience such a block. I've been making the effort to looked deeply into the way I feel as I move into a back bend and notice where I'm feeling stuck. I've discovered that even when moving into a back bend I physically resist it by looking towards the ground and trying to round my shoulders to protect my heart centre. This evening when I took to the mat with my yoga strap I focused on letting go and opening my chest and already being blessed with the gift of flexibility I discovered that all I needed was that gently letting go of fear and opening up in order for me to touch my dread bun with my toes in Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (King Pigeon Pose). I still have much learning to do and releasing a life time of stored fears and deep emotions but the power that yoga has given me to help me look inward and conquer my fears is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment