Monday 24 March 2014

An Autumn Wool Top



I had some wool sitting in my stash for a while, so long actually that I've forgotten what I originally bought it for. I figured it was definitely time to put it to use and being nice soft merino baby wool I thought a nice Autumn top would be perfect.


I often find inspiration on Pinterest (follow me here) so I'd been wanting to experiment with an idea for a while. 


The design is fairly simple and if I make it again I would only make a couple of adjustments. I would probably make the arm holes slightly larger and change how I join the arms to the body. But overall I think I'm happy with how it turned out.


The sleeves are worked as rectangles and then the body is worked by picking up stitches along the edge of the rectangle casting on a few stitches for the middle of the chest/back before picking up stitches along the second sleeve.


The body is then just stockinette stitch with a few increases at the sides as I worked my way down the body.


I finished the neckline off with garter stitch and then sewed the sides of the top and the bottom of the arms together.


I usually just wing it when it comes to making things, I'm fairly hopeless at sticking to patterns so as you can imagine there are often times that things that don't turn out exactly as planned. For some reason my tension was super loose when I knitted the back which is why I only ended up doing the zigzag at the bottom of the front and not the back, but lets just pretend it's perfect. All in all it looks lovely on her so the little things that are less than perfect don't really matter.








 

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this is so very lovely! I'd love to be able to create something like this. Perhaps one day. :)

    ReplyDelete