I had some wool sitting in my stash for a while, so long actually that I've forgotten what I originally bought it for. I figured it was definitely time to put it to use and being nice soft merino baby wool I thought a nice Autumn top would be perfect.
I often find inspiration on Pinterest (follow me here) so I'd been wanting to experiment with an idea for a while.
The design is fairly simple and if I make it again I would only make a couple of adjustments. I would probably make the arm holes slightly larger and change how I join the arms to the body. But overall I think I'm happy with how it turned out.
The sleeves are worked as rectangles and then the body is worked by picking up stitches along the edge of the rectangle casting on a few stitches for the middle of the chest/back before picking up stitches along the second sleeve.
The body is then just stockinette stitch with a few increases at the sides as I worked my way down the body.
I finished the neckline off with garter stitch and then sewed the sides of the top and the bottom of the arms together.
I usually just wing it when it comes to making things, I'm fairly hopeless at sticking to patterns so as you can imagine there are often times that things that don't turn out exactly as planned. For some reason my tension was super loose when I knitted the back which is why I only ended up doing the zigzag at the bottom of the front and not the back, but lets just pretend it's perfect. All in all it looks lovely on her so the little things that are less than perfect don't really matter.
I started out with the intention of crocheting Mio a little top from some recycled denim yarn I had in my stash but I just couldn't get it to look how I wanted so after pulling half of it undone multiple times I decided to just crochet the top part and have fabric for the body.
I have already made a pinafore/top with a crochet bust and fabric body before so I wanted to make it a bit different and I thought I give a romper a go.
I've never made a romper before and I wanted to use woven fabric so this was a big experiment for me. I copied the basic shape from one of Mio's rompers making it wider across the crotch and adding width to the waist to accommodate the lack of stretch.
I sewed the sides together then gathered the top of it and sewed it to the crochet part. I then made some bias binding and finished the edges around the crotch and legs.
I sewed a button to the back of the crochet section and crocheted a loop as a button hole.
I had some sew on press studs for the crotch opening in my sewing box that had been in there since Dave's mum gave me her sewing box. Then with a bit of elastic that my friend unpicked from her dress one time when she was over, I sewed along the edge of the legs so they would be slightly gathered.
And that's it, it came together surprisingly easy since I had no idea what I was doing to begin with. I like happy mistakes and adventures that end up with a piece of clothing that I'm happy with!
Today it feels like Autumn and I celebrated with my first bowl of rice porridge and cup of dandelion tea for this year. There's something about a a warm bowl of porridge with stewed apple, linseeds and a bit of rapadura sugar that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Little ones love to dress up, imagine, play and explore, and giving them free reign over your wardrobe every now and again allows them to have fun and explore what it's like to be in YOUR shoes. At the moment there are many beautiful dresses that I can't wear because I'm breastfeeding so I really enjoyed watching India have fun with them.